Hardened Roman Marcellus Gallio (Richard Burton) oversees the crucifixion of Jesus Christ in Jerusalem. But problems arise when Marcellus wins Christ's robe in a dice game, played beneath the dying man. Haunted by guilt, Marcellus hopes that destroying the garment -- now in the possession of his escaped slave (Victor Mature) -- will cure his hallucinations. The film won Oscars for Best Costume Design, Best Art Direction and Best Set Decoration.
Rent DVDs for only $4.99 a month.
- Richard Burton, Jean Simmons, Victor Mature, Michael Rennie, Jay Robinson, Dean Jagger, Torin Thatcher, Richard Boone, Betta St. John, Jeff Morrow, Ernest Thesiger, Dawn Addams, Leon Askin, Michael Ansara, Cameron Mitchell, Ben Astar, Sally Corner, Frank DeKova, John Doucette, Anthony Eustrel, Sam Gilman, Roy Gordon, Percy Helton, Thomas Browne Henry, Rosalind Ivan, Mae Marsh, Peter Reynolds, Hayden Rorke, Harry Shearer, George E. Stone
- Henry Koster
- This movie is
- DVD and Blu-ray
- 1954 Golden Globe Awards
- Best Motion Picture (Drama)
- 1954 Academy Award®
- Best Art Direction Color
- Best Costume Design Color
- Best Cinematography Color nominee
- Best Actor nominee: Richard Burton
- Best Picture nominee
NRNot rated. This movie has not been rated by the MPAA.
Widescreen Anamorphic 2.55:1Subtitles
English, Spanish (Neutral)Closed captioned
YesLanguage and sound
English: Dolby Digital 4.0, English: Dolby Digital 2.0 Stereo, French: Dolby Digital MonoOther features
Color; interactive menus; scene access; trailer
NoLanguage and sound
English: Dolby Digital 5.1Other features
Color; interactive menus; scene access.
Common Sense Note
- Age appropriate
- Not an issue
- Depends on your kid and your family
- Not appropriate for kids of the age most likely to want to see it