The Santa Clause
The snow hits the fan when advertising executive Scott Calvin accidentally kills Santa and suddenly finds himself saddled with jolly Saint Nick's job. While initially a Scrooge, Scott eventually becomes a true believer in this merry family comedy.
Rent DVDs for only $4.99 a month.
- John Pasquin
Spanish (Neutral)Closed captioned
YesLanguage and sound
English: Dolby Digital 5.1Other features
Color; interactive menus; scene access.
The Santa ClauseClose
Common Sense Note
Parents need to know that the original Santa Claus takes a fatal, accidental fall (yikes -- Santa dies!). Guns are drawn as Tim Allen's new "Santa" gets arrested by police. There are grown-up (and gross) jokes, and the movie deals with divorce and estrangement between a father and son. While the whole plot revolves around the idea of Santa being real, many characters talk about the fact that he might not be -- so this may not be the best fit for families looking to extend kids' belief in St. Nick.
- Sexual Content
- Not applicable.
- The original Santa Claus takes a fatal, accidental pratfall. Guns are drawn as Tim Allen's new "Santa" gets arrested by police.
- One distantly off-color joke about whether a sexy grownup has been "naughty" or "nice."
- Social Behavior
- The religious significance of Christmas takes a big back seat to present-giving and childhood wish-fulfillment.
- Not applicable
- Drugs / Tobacco / Alcohol
- Vague gag reference to the main character's 1960s drug use.
- Age appropriate
- Not an issue
- Depends on your kid and your family
- Not appropriate for kids of the age most likely to want to see it