The Secret of NIMH
This animated adventure chronicles the trials of a widowed field mouse who must move her family to escape a farmer's plow. Aided by a crow and a pack of escaped lab rats, the brave mother struggles to transplant her home to firmer ground.
Rent DVDs for only $4.99 a month.
- Don Bluth
Full Screen 1.33:1Subtitles
French, EnglishClosed captioned
YesLanguage and sound
English: Dolby Digital 2.0 SurroundOther features
Pan-and-scan transfer with Dolby Digital sound. There's English/French subtitles, and the trailer.
The Secret of NIMHClose
Common Sense Note
Parents need to know that this animated movie about a group of intelligent rats who escape from an animal laboratory is suspenseful and rather dark. Several scenes include animal children in peril and a sword fight between rats ends in one death with a little blood. The worst part for sensitive viewers: a flashback shows the animated animals being imprisoned and injected with a needle.
- Sexual Content
- The crow talkes about "looking for a lady" and "making a love nest." Some flirtation between a male and female crow.
- Lots of creepy, dark imagery, only occasionally lightened with humor. A scary and dramatic sword fight between rats with a little blood that results in the death of one rat. Two bad rats plot to kill a main character and make it look like an accident; they are successful. Mrs. Brisby's children are in great peril and almost drown in the mud. Rats, as well as dogs, cats, and monkeys, are subjected to scientific experiments including a scene of an injection in a flashback. A big spider crawls toward Mrs. Brisby before it's crushed by a giant owl. Characters eyes glow and might appear scary to some.
- One "damn."
- Social Behavior
- Includes themes of animal cruelty and animal experimentation, but also teamwork and freedom.
- Not applicable
- Drugs / Tobacco / Alcohol
- The rats drug the cat on occasion to make it sleep.
- Age appropriate
- Not an issue
- Depends on your kid and your family
- Not appropriate for kids of the age most likely to want to see it