The Seeker: The Dark Is Rising
Just as he turns 14, young Will Stanton (Alexander Ludwig) learns that he's the last of a race of paladins known as "the Light" who are dedicated to beating back the forces of darkness and their malevolent leader, the Rider (Christopher Eccleston). As Will travels through time gathering the powerful artifacts that will give rise to the ultimate showdown, he must keep the Rider at bay. Ian McShane and Jonathan Jackson co-star.
Rent DVDs for only $4.99 a month.
- David L. Cunningham
Full Screen 1.33:1Subtitles
NoLanguage and sound
English: Dolby Digital 2.0 StereoOther features
Color; interactive menus; scene access.
The Seeker: The Dark Is RisingClose
Common Sense Note
Parents need to know that one scene in this fantasy movie stands out as too much for younger kids: Hundreds and hundreds of snakes attack people in a church, pursuing the teen hero to a crypt littered with skeletons (one of which briefly comes to life). Black birds gather in droves and attack, and Will is constantly pursued by a dark force, most often in the form of a masked man on horseback. The forces also threaten Will's whole family; at one point, giant icicles rain down on them. Will witnesses some violent events in his time travels, including the pillaging of a medieval village and the start of a cockfight in a tavern. In anger and frustration, he sets off a fiery explosion. Adults drink a little ale and wine.
- Sexual Content
- Teens engage in mild flirting. Teasing about puberty and body changes.
- Teams of birds and snakes attack at different times -- the Old Ones are completely covered in snakes at one point (they seem oddly calm about it). A crypt is littered with bones -- there's one shocking close-up of a skull. The masked Black Rider is always in pursuit -- sometimes with black, curtainy emptiness swirling around him, sucking up everything in its path. Will sets off an explosion in anger and knocks his brother out with a punch. Mention of a kidnapping that devastated Will's parents. A medieval village is pillaged. A bar in 1690 stages a cockfight (not shown). Giant icicles crash down on Will's family, and they're threatened by forces of the Dark to get to Will.
- Not applicable
- Social Behavior
- Not applicable
- iPod and Xbox
- Drugs / Tobacco / Alcohol
- Some wine and ale drinking by adults. Two men let themselves into a pub during the snowstorm and pour themselves pints.
- Age appropriate
- Not an issue
- Depends on your kid and your family
- Not appropriate for kids of the age most likely to want to see it