The Thief Lord
To avoid being separated after the death of their mother, two brothers flee London for Venice, Italy, where they soon fall in with a band of orphan pickpockets led by an enigmatic teenager named Scipio -- who isn't what he claims to be.
Rent DVDs for only $4.99 a month.
- Richard Claus
PGParental guidance suggested. Some material may not be suitable for children.
Widescreen Anamorphic 2.35:1, Full Screen 1.33:1Subtitles
English, Spanish (Neutral)Closed captioned
NoLanguage and sound
English: Dolby Digital 5.1Other features
Color; interactive menus; scene access; deleted scenes; trailer.
The Thief LordClose
Common Sense Note
Parents need to know that this movie, based on the book by Cornelia Funke, focuses on two orphaned brothers who run away to Venice to escape the reach of a horrible aunt. They are taken in by the Thief Lord, the teenage leader of a band of runaways whose criminal activities support the gang. Some scuffles pit adults against kids.
- Sexual Content
- Some very mild flirting between teens.
- Several scenes that involve small scuffles as adults trying to subdue and capture runaway kids. A few scenes also feature guns.
- Some relatively tame epithets, such as "skanky old bat," "screw up," and "lying piece of crap."
- Social Behavior
- Family ties make up the heart of this story, especially a tender and loving bond between two brothers, and a bitter and hostile father-son relationship. Though the Thief Lord is the leader of a gang supporting criminal activities, he also acts as a father-figure to a band of runaway children, and his paternal role is endearing.
- The movie is an ode to beauty of Venice, and portrays the Italian city as a charming and magical place.
- Drugs / Tobacco / Alcohol
- Not applicable
- Age appropriate
- Not an issue
- Depends on your kid and your family
- Not appropriate for kids of the age most likely to want to see it