The Worst Witch
This HBO movie stars Fairuza Balk as Mildred, a hapless witch in training who appears to have little talent for the craft. She's hopeless at potions, terrible at casting spells and completely clueless about the appropriate witch accoutrements. With competitive Ethel (Anna Kipling) nipping at her heels, life is made even worse, especially when Mildred makes a fool of herself in front of the Grand Wizard (Tim Curry).
Rent DVDs for only $4.99 a month.
- Robert Young
Full Screen 1.33:1Subtitles
NoLanguage and sound
English: Dolby Digital 2.0 StereoOther features
Color; interactive menus; scene access; photo gallery; profiles.
The Worst WitchClose
Common Sense Note
Parents need to know that though there is no swearing and the violence is hardly believable, there are some scenes that may frighten young or particularly sensitive children. The witches cackle into the screen and threaten to hurt Mildred. And Agatha aims gunfire-like spells at Mildred, causing explosions all around her. Ethel also bullies Mildred.
- Sexual Content
- All the students have a crush on the Grand Wizard.
- A lot of comic accidents. Mildred crashes her broom into a bell tower. She and other witches also crash into the ground. Agatha aims spells at Mildred that cause explosions all around her, but she isn't hurt by them.
- No swearing, but Mildred is called a number of mean names, including "idiot," "misfit" and "abominable child."
- Social Behavior
- Ethel bullies Mildred and plays a trick on her that causes her to crash to the ground. Mildred runs away from school after being humiliated. Mildred also overcomes her self consciousness and low self-esteem to stand up for herself and protect her school.
- Not applicable
- Drugs / Tobacco / Alcohol
- Not applicable
- Age appropriate
- Not an issue
- Depends on your kid and your family
- Not appropriate for kids of the age most likely to want to see it