The von Trapp Family: A Life of Music
After achieving widespread fame as part of the musical von Trapp family, eldest daughter Agathe went on to live a colorful and challenging life, as recounted in this dramatic biography of a gifted and independent-minded woman.
Rent DVDs for only $4.99 a month.
- Ben Verbong
NRNot rated. This movie has not been rated by the MPAA.
Spanish (Neutral)Closed captioned
NoLanguage and sound
English: Dolby Digital 5.1Other features
Color; interactive menus; scene access.
The von Trapp Family: A Life of MusicClose
Common Sense Note
Parents need to know that The Von Trapp Family: A Life of Music recreates the story so beautifully told in The Sound of Music: A talented, reconstituted family struggles with surging Nazism in Austria in the late 1930s. This movie is based on the book Memories Before and After The Sound of Music, an autobiography by the oldest Von Trapp daughter, Agathe (called Liesl in the classic musical). Though there is music -- the children singing together, their first performances, some solo selections -- the film is a drama. Early scenes depict events and emotions surrounding the death of Captain Von Trapp's wife, the mother of Agathe and six other children. Sequences set during the German-Austrian "unification" are suspenseful, and, in one instance, Agathe witnesses a brutal attack. Still, it's the same uplifting, heartfelt story with a few significant changes that come from the book.
- Sexual Content
- Not applicable
- A young man is chased and brutally beaten by a gang of thugs. Family is threatened by Nazis; suspenseful efforts to avoid capture.
- Derogatory references to Jews.
- Social Behavior
- Underscores value of courage in the face of repression; encourages standing up for what's right. Looks at challenges of family after death of loved one; promotes acceptance of changing circumstances.
- Not applicable
- Drugs / Tobacco / Alcohol
- A villain pours himself a drink. Several characters smoke.
- Age appropriate
- Not an issue
- Depends on your kid and your family
- Not appropriate for kids of the age most likely to want to see it