Tom & Jerry Spy Quest
The dueling Tom and Jerry bump into world-class junior spies Jonny Quest, Hadji and their canine companion Bandit. When longtime Quest family nemesis Dr. Zin discovers that Jonny's father, Dr. Benton Quest, has a device to solve the world's energy problems, he sends his evil cat army to steal it.
Rent DVDs for only $4.99 a month.
NRNot rated. This movie has not been rated by the MPAA.
English SDH, Spanish (Neutral), French, PortugueseClosed captioned
NoLanguage and sound
English: Dolby Digital 5.1, French: Dolby Digital 5.1, Spanish (Neutral): Dolby Digital 5.1, Portuguese: Dolby Digital 5.1, English: DVS - Descriptive Video ServiceOther features
Color; interactive menus; scene access.
Tom & Jerry Spy QuestClose
Common Sense Note
Parents need to know that Tom and Jerry: Spy Quest unites the combative cat and mouse with another of Hanna Barbera's cartoon mainstays: Jonny Quest and his entourage, which includes Jonny's scientist dad, Dr. Benton Quest, hero Race Bannon, and sidekicks Hadji and Bandit the dog. Though some of the Tom and Jerry movies are comic parodies of fairy tales and other cultural phenomena, this movie is strictly "good versus evil," moving its characters from one action sequence to another. Tom and Jerry stop tormenting and smashing each other just long enough to assist Jonny and company in their efforts to stop the ever-evil Dr. Zin from taking over the world. There are enough exaggerated cartoon explosions, falls, hits, battles, narrow escapes, and scary creatures to completely fill the 73-minute viewing time. It's all meant to be funny, with a few jokey stereotypes (villainous Asian scientist, wily and flirtatious temptress) included as well. The movie is best for kids who are comfortably able to distinguish real peril versus comic-cartoon jeopardy.
- Nonstop cartoon action: explosions, falls, crashes, blasters, guns, swordplay, lab experiments gone awry, countless narrow escapes, cat and mouse bashing and smashing antics, attacking crabs, a robotic army of bad guys. Three villainous cats are accomplices to a mustache-twirling, evil Dr. Zin, who cackles, menaces the heroes ("I want that cat shot ... on sight!"), and threatens the world.
- "Spicy little dish," "butthead."
- Social Behavior
- Good triumphs over evil. Tom and Jerry put their usual hostility aside and work as a team to thwart villains. Some stereotypes.
- Unites two classic cartoon franchises: Tom and Jerry and Jonny Quest. DVDs and other assorted merchandise are heavily marketed.
- Drugs / Tobacco / Alcohol
- Not applicable
- Age appropriate
- Not an issue
- Depends on your kid and your family
- Not appropriate for kids of the age most likely to want to see it