Michael Dorsey (Dustin Hoffman) transforms himself into a woman to prove he can get hired on a soap opera. But Michael has an enviable problem when his alter ego, Dorothy, becomes daytime television's hottest ticket.
Rent DVDs for only $4.99 a month.
- Sydney Pollack
- DVD and Blu-ray
- 1984 BAFTA®
- 1983 Golden Globe Awards
- Best Supporting Actress in a Motion Picture
- Best Motion Picture (Musical or Comedy)
- Best Actor in a Motion Picture (Musical or Comedy)
- Best Director (Motion Picture) nominee
- Top 100 Laughs
- Top 100 Movies
- 1983 Academy Award®
- Best Supporting Actress: Jessica Lange
- Best Music Song nominee
- Best Director nominee: Sydney Pollack
- Best Supporting Actress nominee: Teri Garr
- Best Actor nominee: Dustin Hoffman
- Best Cinematography nominee
- Best Film Editing nominee
- Best Writing Original Screenplay nominee
- Best Sound nominee
- Best Picture nominee
PGParental guidance suggested. Some material may not be suitable for children.
English, Chinese Simplified, French, Korean, Portuguese, Spanish (Neutral), ThaiClosed captioned
YesLanguage and sound
English: Dolby Digital 5.1, English: Dolby Digital Mono, French: Dolby Digital MonoOther features
Color; interactive menus; scene access; trailer; cast and crew information.
English SDHClosed captioned
NoLanguage and sound
English: PCM MonoOther features
Color; interactive menus; scene access; additional featurettes; trailer; deleted scenes.
Common Sense Note
Parents need to know that this film touches on issues such as having children out of wedlock, alcoholism, and homosexuality (much of which is mistakenly assumed during moments of cross-dressing). While these issues may seem mature, the film uses each sparingly and as a means to illustrate growth in its characters. While the storyline puts Michael (and his alter-ego Dorothy) in compromising situations, it also leads to good clean fun and personal discoveries about respect for one's self and others.
- Sexual Content
- Implied sex and gay/lesbian innuendo.
- A few smacks across the face.
- Some questionable language.
- Social Behavior
- Various representations of strong women and chivalrous men, but also problematic misogynist characters (identified as badly behaved).
- Not applicable
- Drugs / Tobacco / Alcohol
- Heavy drinking by a main character that is identified as a problem.
- Age appropriate
- Not an issue
- Depends on your kid and your family
- Not appropriate for kids of the age most likely to want to see it