Up Close & Personal
Michelle Pfeiffer stars as ambitious reporter Tally Atwater, who aspires to make it to the top in television news. Along the way, she meets veteran newsman Warren Justice (Robert Redford), who gives her a shot at her dream job - and a chance at love.
Rent DVDs for only $4.99 a month.
- Jon Avnet
- 1997 Academy Award®
- Best Music Song nominee
PG-13Brief strong language, some sensuality and depictions of violence
NoLanguage and sound
English: Dolby Digital 5.1, French: Dolby Digital 2.0 Surround
Up Close & PersonalClose
Common Sense Note
Parents need to know that there is sex between the two lead characters, one of whom is a domineering, twice-divorced man, the other a former beauty queen who fakes her journalistic credentials to get a job in TV. Despite the dangers of being too near an open mic, characters swear pretty frequently for a PG-13 movie. You'll find violence in a prison uprising and in battle zones, and there are subplots about authority figures -- governors, local politicos, even a White House -- that are corrupt and need to be exposed. A key character is killed along the way.
- Sexual Content
- Bedroom scenes; a montage of lovemaking, but with little more explicitly shown than bare shoulders.
- A prison riot, with vicious beatings shown at a distance or on fuzzy monitors, and the heroine threatened. Glimpses of dead bodies afterwards. Ditto for a South American shootout.
- One F-word, "s--t" numerous times, and vulgar reference to female breasts.
- Social Behavior
- The lead characters pay at least some lip service to compassionate and well-informed journalism. Warren is an overconfident womanizer (pre-marital sex with Tally, post-divorce sex with Joanne). Sally doesn't seem able to do a good job without his controlling presence.
- Plugs for real-life network anchors and TV entertainment and trade magazines.
- Drugs / Tobacco / Alcohol
- Social drinking.
- Age appropriate
- Not an issue
- Depends on your kid and your family
- Not appropriate for kids of the age most likely to want to see it