Walt Before Mickey
Spanning nine years, this biographical drama chronicles the early days of Walt Disney's career -- before he and his brother Roy began the humble animation studio that would subsequently evolve into a global entertainment colossus.
Rent DVDs for only $4.99 a month.
- Khoa Le
- This movie is
- DVD and streaming
PGParental guidance suggested. Some material may not be suitable for children.
Walt Before MickeyClose
Common Sense Note
Parents need to know that Walt Before Disney is a biographical drama about the early stages of Walt Disney's career, starring Thomas Ian Nicholas (American Pie) as the legendary animator in the years before he created Mickey Mouse. There's nothing really iffy except for a fair bit of smoking, which is historically accurate given Disney's documented cigarette habit. Disney also almost gets into a fist fight with animators, and there's some flirting and a couple of kisses, but otherwise this is fine for older tweens who might be curious about the early failures of arguably the most visionary filmmaker in Hollywood history.
- Sexual Content
- A couple of kisses; some flirting.
- Disney and a couple of his animators nearly get into a fist fight, but they don't come to full blows.
- Sparing use of words like "hell" and "stupid."
- Social Behavior
- Core messages include staying true to your dream, learning from failure, and realizing that success takes time, effort, and setbacks.
- Part of the Disney brand/myth.
- Drugs / Tobacco / Alcohol
- Walt Disney was a chain smoker, and the movie reflects that. He (and other characters, but mostly him) smokes cigarettes throughout the whole movie (which was more prevalent in the era it takes place in)>
- Age appropriate
- Not an issue
- Depends on your kid and your family
- Not appropriate for kids of the age most likely to want to see it