Set in Alaska during the Gold Rush, this adventure tale follows Jack Conroy, a young man who's just arrived to work his late father's claim. En route to the dig, Jack spies the wild half-wolf, half-dog White Fang.
Rent DVDs for only $4.99 a month.
- Randal Kleiser
PGParental guidance suggested. Some material may not be suitable for children.
Full Screen 1.33:1Subtitles
YesLanguage and sound
English: Dolby Digital 2.0 StereoOther features
Color; interactive menus; scene access.
Common Sense Note
Parents need to know that this movie has mature themes, such as the mistreatment of the Native American tribes by the miners, betting on dog fights, and the harshness of life in the mountains. There's a scene where wolves surround a camp and a character (off-screen) is killed while trying to protect his dog pack. A wolf is shot and crawls back to die in front of her young pup. A corpse is ejected from its coffin, characters treat an animal cruelly to make it fight, a bear chases a man but is scared away by a wolf, a character refers to the death of his parents. There's a shoot-out with no deaths but plenty of menace and a mining cave-in that threatens a character.
- Sexual Content
- Very subtle reference to prostitution, a (unmarried) couple kiss.
- Violence includes dog fights, gun fight, house set on fire, implied death of a character, bear attack, wolf cub's mother is shot.
- Brief profanity, name calling.
- Social Behavior
- Reference to social exclusion of Native Americans. Characters are self-reliant and trustworthy, bad guys steal from newcomers and cheat.
- Not applicable
- Drugs / Tobacco / Alcohol
- Barroom drinking, tobacco smoking, bad guys drink to excess.
- Age appropriate
- Not an issue
- Depends on your kid and your family
- Not appropriate for kids of the age most likely to want to see it