When a volatile artist offs her boyfriend and is sentenced to life in prison, her daughter is sent to live in a series of foster homes. But as she moves from one dysfunctional arrangement to the next, her mother's manipulations are never far behind.
Rent DVDs for only $4.99 a month.
- Peter Kosminsky
- This movie is
PG-13Mature thematic elements concerning dysfunctional relationships, drug content, language, sexuality and violence
Widescreen Anamorphic 1.85:1, Full Screen 1.33:1Subtitles
English, French, Spanish (Neutral)Closed captioned
YesLanguage and sound
English: Dolby Digital 5.1, French: Dolby Digital 5.1Other features
Color; interactive menus; scene access; director's commentary; author commentary; deleted scenes; two making-of featurettes.
Common Sense Note
Parents need to know that this movie includes brutality of a modern-era Dickensian quality. Astrid is seduced by one foster parent and shot by another. A third commits suicide. Astrid is subjected to physical and emotional abuse. Ingrid murders her lover. There are non-explicit sexual situations and references. Characters drink, smoke, and use drugs. Characters use strong language and mock religious faith.
- Sexual Content
- Sexual references and situations, including predatory sex with foster parent.
- Intense and painful family situations, murder, shooting, drug use, suicide.
- Some strong language for a PG-13.
- Not applicable
- Drugs / Tobacco / Alcohol
- Alcohol and drug use.
- Age appropriate
- Not an issue
- Depends on your kid and your family
- Not appropriate for kids of the age most likely to want to see it