Wild Wild West
Following the Civil War, President Ulysses Grant dispatches two top-notch government agents to track down a diabolical former Confederate scientist in this futuristic Western set in the 1860s.
Rent DVDs for only $4.99 a month.
- Barry Sonnenfeld
- This movie is
Widescreen Anamorphic 1.85:1Subtitles
YesLanguage and sound
English: Dolby Digital 5.1Other features
Color; region 1 encoding; interactive menus; scene access; enhanced for 16x9 TVs; music videos; behind-the-scenes footage; filmographies; audio commentary; additional footage; interactive games; photo gallery; cast/crew biographies; trailer(s)
Wild Wild WestClose
Common Sense Note
Parents need to know that Wild Wild West is a big, loud, coarse adventure flick, with interesting visual styling including steampunk gadgets and an Old West setting. There's lots of cartoonish violence, including characters who are suddenly punched in the face and shot in the gut and then bleed gorily while their bodies are summarily dumped in the water to be fed to "the crabs." The viewer sees many dead bodies, and main characters are frequently in mortal jeopardy such as being suspended under a moving train, though such hijinks are usually played for laughs. There are many sexual situations as well, with characters rolling around intimately (no nudity), and prostitutes offering sexual services for pay. There is also racial humor: at one point Will Smith shucks-and-jives like a slave, and a group of white Southerners threaten to lynch him while Smith calls them "rednecks." Cursing is kept to a minimum, save for a few S-words, and a lot of coarse language like "boobies." The viewer is told that some characters are good and others bad, but all are violent and prone to trickery.
- Sexual Content
- Many scenes of characters rolling around intimately, though we see no nudity. Many characters are prostitutes and there are discussions of how much their services cost and whether prostitutes are allowed to refuse a customer. Many scenes are set in a bordello, with men and women in vintage-looking underwear or seemingly naked and wrapped in sheets.
- Characters are suddenly sucker-punched. Villains are shot in the gut and bleed gorily. We see many dead bodies. A man is suddenly shot and thrown into the water to be eaten by crabs; we later see him washed up on land with gore on the front of his shirt, slowly dying. The violence is cartoonish, but intense.
- Some cursing: "s--t," "ass." There are also insults: "rednecks."
- Social Behavior
- Some scenes laud smarts over force, but these messages are quickly subverted by the many, many scenes of characters being shot and punched.
- Not applicable
- Drugs / Tobacco / Alcohol
- Many scenes depict both bad and good guys taking drinks; several characters smoke cigars.
- Age appropriate
- Not an issue
- Depends on your kid and your family
- Not appropriate for kids of the age most likely to want to see it