Directed by Curtis Hanson, this endearing slice of life centers on unraveling English professor Grady Tripp (Michael Douglas), who's forced to confront his writer's block, fear of aging and irresponsibility as he watches a student (Tobey Maguire) surpass him. Meanwhile, he contends with the consequences of an affair and fends off the advances of a young boarder (Katie Holmes). Steve Kloves earned an Oscar nod for his script.
Rent DVDs for only $4.99 a month.
- Curtis Hanson
- This movie is
- 2001 BAFTA®
- Best Actor nominee: Michael Douglas
- 2001 Golden Globe Awards
- Best Motion Picture (Drama) nominee
- Best Actor in a Motion Picture (Drama) nominee
- 2001 Academy Award®
- Best Music Song
- Best Film Editing nominee
- Best Writing Adapted Screenplay nominee
Widescreen Anamorphic 2.35:1Subtitles
YesLanguage and sound
English: Dolby Digital 5.1, French: Dolby Digital 2.0 SurroundOther features
Color; region 1 encoding; interactive menus; scene access; trailer; "A Look Between the Page" cast & crew interviews featuring Michael Douglas, Frances McDormand, Tobey Maguire, and Curtis Hanson; Pittsburgh interactive location map with commentary by Curtis Hanson; singer/songwriters of "Wonder Boys" with direct access commentary by Curtis Hanson; soundtrack pictorial; "Bob Dylan" featurette; music video "Things Have Changed".
Common Sense Note
Parents need to know that this movie has drug and alcohol abuse, adultery, homosexual and heterosexual references (including a transvestite character), references to suicide, and very strong language.
- Sexual Content
- Extensive and fairly explicit references, including adultery.
- Scenes with gun, dog attacks character, dog gets shot, car crash, threats.
- Frequent strong language.
- Not applicable
- Drugs / Tobacco / Alcohol
- Extensive, including drinking as a response to stress.
- Age appropriate
- Not an issue
- Depends on your kid and your family
- Not appropriate for kids of the age most likely to want to see it