Born July 10, 1934, in Tulsa, Okla., Nelson grew up in Washington, D.C., where he first met Jim Henson. The two began a long and fruitful creative collaboration when Nelson became a regular on "Sesame Street" during the landmark show's second season in 1970. Though best known for his portrayal of Count von Count (whose personality was inspired by Béla Lugosi's Count Dracula), Nelson also performed Herry Monster, Sherman Hemlock, Sgt. Floyd Pepper and Kermit the Frog's nephew, Robin.
In addition to his Muppets alter-egos, Nelson performed Gobo and Marjory the Trash Heap on "Fraggle Rock" (1983-87), while his films include voice work in The Dark Crystal (1982), The Christmas Toy (1986) and The Muppets (2011). Nelson died Aug. 23, 2012.
After deciding to pursue a career in acting, Kermit the Frog goes on a cross-country trek to find fame in Hollywood. Along the way, he meets Fozzie Bear, Miss Piggy, Gonzo and the rest of the Muppets cast, and voilà, the Muppets are born.
- The Dark Crystal
- The Great Muppet Caper
- The Muppets Take Manhattan
- The Muppet Christmas Carol
- I Am Big Bird
- The Muppet Show
- Fraggle Rock: Where It All Began
- Muppet Treasure Island
- The Adventures of Elmo in Grouchland
- Fraggle Rock: Dance Your Cares Away
- The Radicals
- Sesame Street: Sing Yourself Silly!
- Fraggle Rock
- Sesame Street: Elmo's Sing-Along
- Sesame Street: Kids' Favorite Songs
- Sesame Street: Let's Make Music
- Kermit's Swamp Years
- Sesame Street: Letter of the Month Club