He first caught the attention of Hollywood execs with El Mariachi (1992), which cost a mere $7,000 to film, and delivered again with Desperado (1995) and From Dusk Till Dawn (1996) before revisiting his low-budget roots with the El Mariachi sequel, Once Upon a Time in Mexico (2003).
In the new millennium, Rodriguez has also ventured into mainstream family fare with the Spy Kids trilogy (2001, 2002 and 2003) and reteamed with fellow director Quentin Tarantino (who had co-starred in From Dusk Till Dawn) for the stylized crime noir Sin City (2005) and the compilation horror film Grindhouse (2007).
Former Federale Machete tries to elude his violent past by fleeing Mexico for Texas but ends up being shot in the chaos of a political assassination. Machete consequently begins a bloody crusade of vengeance against the gangsters who betrayed him.
- Spy Kids: All the Time in the World
- Four Rooms
- Grindhouse: Planet Terror
- Sin City
- Side by Side
- From Dusk Till Dawn: The Series
- Spy Kids
- Once Upon a Time in Mexico
- Spy Kids 3: Game Over
- The Adventures of Sharkboy & Lavagirl
- Machete Kills
- Sin City: A Dame to Kill For
- From Dusk Till Dawn
- Spy Kids 2: The Island of Lost Dreams
- High Hopes
- Starz Inside: Fantastic Flesh