He first caught the attention of Hollywood execs with El Mariachi (1992), which cost a mere $7,000 to film, and delivered again with Desperado (1995) and From Dusk Till Dawn (1996) before revisiting his low-budget roots with the El Mariachi sequel, Once Upon a Time in Mexico (2003).
In the new millennium, Rodriguez has also ventured into mainstream family fare with the Spy Kids trilogy (2001, 2002 and 2003) and reteamed with fellow director Quentin Tarantino (who had co-starred in From Dusk Till Dawn) for the stylized crime noir Sin City (2005) and the compilation horror film Grindhouse (2007).
Robbers-on-the-lam Seth and Richard Gecko take an ex-preacher and his kids hostage. On a race to the Mexican border, they rendezvous at a cantina, not knowing the owners and clientele are bloodthirsty vampires in this ode to 1960s horror movies.
- Sin City
- Once Upon a Time in Mexico
- Four Rooms
- Grindhouse: Planet Terror
- Sin City: A Dame to Kill For
- Spy Kids 3: Game Over
- Spy Kids 2: The Island of Lost Dreams
- The Adventures of Sharkboy & Lavagirl
- High Hopes
- Machete Kills
- From Dusk Till Dawn: The Series
- Side by Side
- Spy Kids
- Starz Inside: Fantastic Flesh
- Spy Kids: All the Time in the World